community

Endings and Beginnings

I forgot how busy the end of the year was, especially with different school schedules for four different kids. Even as we try to remember where we are supposed to be on which day, I find myself overwhelmed with gratitude that we are HERE in this place. This year we have a kindergarten graduation and …

Endings and Beginnings Read More »

On Keeping Score

My morning meditation runs are usually at the same place and part of the trail runs behind the baseball fields on a narrow path between the scoreboard and the fence. A place where home runs are earned and points add up. As I was running this morning, I thought of all the things we keep …

On Keeping Score Read More »

Simple Signs

For the first time in a very long time, I was able to attend an Easter morning sunrise service. We were at the beach and there was a service within walking distance. As we walked onto the beach with our six-year-old, I felt immediately at peace. The sun was rising over the ocean, people were …

Simple Signs Read More »

I’m On My Way

After my second year of teaching, I went to Germany for one school year to teach. As a young American in a small town, I found myself most often on the same schedule of retirees. We would eat our kuchen and kaffee at the same time in the afternoon and then go see a lecture …

I’m On My Way Read More »

Still Loading

As I went to write my weekly reflection in my planner, I flipped back to the month view wondering whether I had ever filled out February. It has been a busy week and February is such a short month, I didn’t want to forget to look ahead. As I flipped back, I realized not only …

Still Loading Read More »

How’s your heart?

In times of uncertainty and extreme stress, our heart rate increases. It’s a natural, biological response to the increased stess we are experiencing. Although it’s natural, it isn’t something we often notice or ask each other. Instead when we check on each other, we ask “How are you?” eliciting a response from our brains rather …

How’s your heart? Read More »

Silence in the Sanctuary

This week our congregation worshipped virtually for the first time six months. Even though we knew it was the right decision based on the positivity rate for our county, it was a difficult decision to make. The rolling isolations and quarantines remind us that we aren’t where we hoped to be. We hoped to be …

Silence in the Sanctuary Read More »