community

To Love is to Call By Name

I’ve just recently finished re-reading Walking on Water by Madeline L’Engle. I’ve had the experience of having the book mean something completely different to me during this time of my life. That’s the power of words, isn’t it? They can change and transform you again and again as you meet or re-meet them at different …

To Love is to Call By Name Read More »

Serving Side by Side

This morning, Sam and I (and Ben) served as volunteers for the Transitions Job Fair. Transitions is an amazing ministry in Columbia that helps aid and assist people who find themselves without homes. We were honored to be asked to help serve in the computer lab to assist clients as they created their resumes and tried …

Serving Side by Side Read More »

It Doesn’t Take Much to Have Church

Yesterday, I was being interviewed by the local news station about the disaster relief work Emmanuel headed up in response to the historic flood in October. We were sitting in the home of one of the recipients of the generous donations of FBC Orangeburg and Fernwood Baptist Church. We sat in Victorian Lakes Mobile Home Community …

It Doesn’t Take Much to Have Church Read More »

Gender Relations: Unsolicited Catcalls and Whistling

As I got out of my car in the Walgreens, I heard the low whistle. I had already noticed the two men sitting in the van, but honestly I hadn’t thought twice about their attention. After being pregnant for nine months, I had forgotten what it was like to be whistled at and catcalled. I’m …

Gender Relations: Unsolicited Catcalls and Whistling Read More »

Living in the Aftermath

On Wednesday, we received the notification that our boil water advisory had been lifted. On Thursday, we found out that the two blocks Garners Ferry that experienced 18 ft. of flooding would partially reopen. In the wake of this news, there were shouts of acclamation coming from our house! There is a temptation now to …

Living in the Aftermath Read More »

9 Months and Waiting

This morning I had my 36 week appointment with the doctor. I have certainly gotten used to the routine of going to the doctor, but today was significantly different. There were signs over all the sinks, “Do not use sinks.” There were signs over the water fountains, “Don’t drink this water.” And there was almost …

9 Months and Waiting Read More »

What is Normal?

As I watched the news this morning, I heard the news anchors saying again and again that what the Midlands community is looking forward to is returning to a sense of normalcy. I nodded my head in agreement at first, but then I realized that for some many families there won’t be a normal to …

What is Normal? Read More »